Gatis Meržvinskis is a Managing partner of Riga office, having more than 18 years of work legal experience in IP field and especially in IP (trademarks, designs, patents, copyright, domains, licensing) litigation and enforcement matters. He is responsible for handling opposition, appeals and court proceeding matters, representing clients before Latvian Patent Office (LPO), World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and European Union Intellectual Property Organization (EUIPO), courts, the Customs or other institutions in Latvia, advising clients on IP dispute and infringement matters as well as unfair competition, advertising, customs related cases, drafting and advising regarding licensing and franchising contracts and commercialization of IP rights, strategy of management and protection of IP rights.
– Represented in court several cases of the world-famous alcoholic drink manufacturers in so called “decoding” cases.
– Advised one of the biggest banks on rebranding and concluding coexistence agreement on bank’s main trademark.
– Represented the biggest Latvian confectionery manufacturer in worldwide IP cases and successfully handling trademark litigation regarding co-called “Soviet” brands.
– Represented in Latvia one of the biggest premium spirits and wine companies in brand protection matters, including, trademark disputes of famous cognac, champagne and wine brands.
– Handled acquisition of trademark for one of biggest Latvian supermarket chain companies.
– Advised UK biggest mobile communication provider on trademark protection in Latvia, handled several opposition and infringement cases.
– Consulted an innovative Latvian company on prosecution and enforcement of a design acquiring several design awards.
– Represented world famous cartoon company in copyright infringements in Latvia.
Since 1999 — Petersona Patents
Since 2008 — Latvian Patent Attorney for Trademarks and Industrial Designs
Since 2008 — European Patent and Trademark Attorney
2005 — University of Latvia, Master’s degree in Law
1999 — International Institute, Department of English and German Philology, Bachelor’s degree
1997 — Latvian Academy of Medicine
1991 — Riga Medical School (Latvia)
Latvian, English, Russian, German
Licensing Executive Society (LES)
Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriete Intellectuelle (AIPPI) Latvian National Group
European Community Trademark Association (ECTA), Committee’s Member
Pharmaceutical Trademark Group, Member (PTMG)
International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI), Member
Participant of various conferences and seminars, including “Mediator qualification courses”, “Negotiating and drafting software contracts”, Intellectual Asset Management – Maximizing Value from Patent and Technology”.
Numbers of his articles have been published by international associations and universities.